The Experience of a Lifetime!
Experiencing a new culture can help us better understand ourselves and the world around us. Learn about the benefits that a cultural exchange offers-- hear personal stories from exchange participants about “what it’s like” and get tips on adjusting to a new culture.
Before You Go
Proper orientation is the key to any great experience. Pre-departure orientation will provide you with helpful information on specific information regarding the exchange program’s organization, as well as logistics and intercultural training.
After You Return
Participation in an exchange program is not a one-time event, but rather the beginning of an exchange of ideas that continues throughout a participant’s life. State Alumni offers support to alumni of U.S. government-sponsored exchange programs through resources such as:
- International Exchange Alumni, an online global community for current and former USG-sponsored exchange program participants;
- Support for U.S. embassies in alumni outreach and collaboration;
- Alumni Associations in every region of the world;
- Alumni related events; and
- Opportunities to give back to the community via volunteering, projects, or mentor programs.