In March 2011, President Barack Obama launched “100,000 Strong in the Americas,” an initiative to increase international study in Latin America and the Caribbean. The purpose of “100,000 Strong in the Americas” is to foster region-wide prosperity through greater international exchange of students, who are our future leaders and innovators.
EducationUSA is located in 170 countries and help millions of students find accurate, comprehensive, and current information about how to apply to accredited U.S. colleges and universities. This includes information about application procedures, standardized test requirements, student visas, financial aid, and the full range of accredited U.S. higher education institutions.
- The Fulbright Program operates in more than 155 countries worldwide and has provided approximately 310,000 participants with the opportunity to study, teach, or conduct research in each others' countries and exchange ideas.
- The Fulbright Foreign Student Program offers opportunities for foreign graduate students, young professionals and artists from abroad to study, conduct research, and/or teach their native language in the U.S.
- The Community College Initiative (CCI) Program provides a quality academic program at U.S. community colleges intended to build technical skills, enhance leadership capabilities, and strengthen English language proficiency. The program also provides opportunities for professional internships, service learning, and community engagement activities.
- Global Undergraduate Exchange Program (Global UGrad) provides one semester and academic year scholarships to outstanding undergraduate students from underrepresented sectors in East Asia, Eurasia and Central Asia, the Near East and South Asia and the Western Hemisphere for non-degree full-time study combined with community service, internships and cultural enrichment.
- The Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program provides grants to approximately 850 foreign scholars from over 100 countries to conduct post-doctoral research at U.S. institutions from an academic semester to a full academic year.
- The Fulbright Regional Network for Applied Research (NEXUS) Program is a network of junior scholars, professionals and mid-career applied researchers from the United States, Brazil and other Western Hemisphere nations participating in a year-long program that includes multi-disciplinary, team-based research, a series of three seminar meetings, and a Fulbright exchange experience. Up to twenty outstanding scholars and practitioners from the region will be selected as Fulbright NEXUS Scholars to engage in collaborative thinking, analysis, problem-solving and multi-disciplinary research related to climate change and adaptation strategies.
- The Fulbright FLTA Program provides young teachers of English as a Foreign Language the opportunity to refine their teaching skills and broaden their knowledge of American cultures and customs while strengthening the instruction of foreign languages at colleges and universities in the United States.
- Resource: American English is a resource center for teaching and learning about American English language and culture. This website provides a variety of engaging materials and resources for teachers' professional development and for students in the classroom. Both teachers and students will find new ways to practice English and learn more about the United States.