OneBeatSM is an international music exchange that celebrates musical collaboration and social engagement through innovative people-to-people diplomacy. Musicians (ages 19-35) from around the world come together in the U.S. for four weeks to collaboratively write, produce, and perform original music, and develop ways that music can make a positive impact on our local and global communities. More than a performance program, OneBeat balances three principles: dialogue, creation, and social engagement to foster mutual understanding and cooperation among citizens of the world, one unexpected musical piece at a time. The application period is now open. Applications due Saturday, February 14, 2015. Visit OneBeat to learn more.
Program Length4 weeks
Eligibility and Application OverviewPublic applications are accepted.
Applicants must be:
- Innovative musicians either stylistically, lyrically, or technologically within their musical worlds;
- Willing to cross cultural and musical divides in creating original music, or re-interpreting traditional music;
- Active in their communities or greater societies. This could include, but is not limited to, starting a music school, promoting peace and democracy through music, or reviving musical traditions;
- 19-35 years old;
- Able to converse in basic English;
- Citizen and resident of one of the 40 eligible countries and territories, and have not traveled extensively to the U.S. or have rarely performed in the U.S.;
- Able to be active in online communities and participate in website-based activities.