American Music Abroad artists represent the new generation of musical ambassadors; reaching beyond concert halls to interact with other musicians and citizens around the globe. During 2013 and 2014, ECA will partner with American Voices to send 10 American roots music groups in different genres. The groups will travel to more than 40 countries to conduct public concerts, interactive performances with local musicians, lecture demonstrations, workshops, and jam sessions with diverse audiences.
American Music Abroad activities focus on younger and underserved audiences in countries where people have few opportunities to meet American performers and experience their music first-hand.
Program Length4 - 6 weeks
Eligibility and Application OverviewPublic applications are accepted.
- Each musician must be at least 18 years of age, a U.S. citizen, and either hold or be able to obtain a valid U.S. passport;
- Applying ensembles must be either trios, quartets or quintets (3-5 people);
- The diversity of traditional American genres we are seeking, includes, but is not limited to Contemporary Urban , Hip Hop, Rock & Roll, Punk, Heavy Metal, Indie Rock, R&B, Jazz, Blues, Country, Broadway Musical Theater and American roots music genres like Country, Gospel, Soul, Bluegrass, Zydeco, Cajun, Afro-Caribbean, Tejano, Southwestern American Conjunto, Native-American and Folk;
- Each musician may perform with only one band;
- No musical group or individual musician may participate in the American Music Abroad program more than 3 times in the last 5 years, including prior iterations such as The Rhythm Road: American Music Abroad;
- No more than 2 of the final ensembles chosen may be alumni of the American Music Abroad program;
- Bands combining or crossing-over genres will be considered;
- Successful applicant ensembles are required to demonstrate artistic integrity, musical ability, knowledge of American culture and music and a strong commitment to community and education programming;
- Applicants must be amenable to rigorous traveling and performance conditions, as touring regions and itineraries may be challenging;
- In addition to concerts and media appearances, selected groups will present educational activities that include, but are not limited to: workshops, classes and community outreach activities.
The application deadline for the 2013-2014 season is January 6, 2014. Visit American Music Abroad's website for more information.