The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program provides scholarships to U.S. undergraduates with financial need for study abroad, including students from diverse backgrounds and students going to non-traditional study abroad destinations. Established under the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000, Gilman Scholarships provide up to $5,000 for American students to pursue overseas study for college credit.
Critical Need Languages
Students studying critical need languages are eligible for up to $3,000 in additional funding as part of the Gilman Critical Need Language Supplement program. Those critical need languages include:
- Arabic (all dialects);
- Chinese (all dialects);
- Bahasa Indonesia
- Turkic (Azerbaijani, Kazakh, Kyrgz, Turkish, Turkmen, Uzbek);
- Persian (Farsi, Dari, Kurdish, Pashto, Tajiki);
- Indic (Hindi, Urdu, Nepali, Sinhala, Bengali, Punjabi, Marathi, Gujarati, Sindhi);
Consult the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page for further details.
Program Length1 Month to 1 Year
Eligibility and Application OverviewPublic applications are accepted.
The scholarship program is open to all U.S. citizen undergraduates, in good academic standing who have received a Federal Pell Grant and meet the following criteria.
Eligble Applicants Must Be:
- Receiving a Federal Pell Grant or provide proof that he/she will be receiving a Pell Grant at the time of application or during the term of his/her study abroad.
- Applying to or have been accepted into a study abroad program eligible for credit by the student's accredited institution of higher education in the United States
- Studying abroad for at least four weeks in one country. Programs going to more than one country are eligible if the student will be studying in one country for at least four consecutive weeks
- Studying abroad in any country except Cuba or a country on the U.S. Department of State's current Travel Warning List
For full eligibility details, an application form, and further information, please check the IIE website.
Applications are now Open.
Spring 2015 & Summer 2015 Early Application Open The application for spring 2015 and the early application for summer 2015 to study or intern abroad is now open! The deadline to submit an application is October 7, 2014 by 11:59pm Central Time.
Gilman Scholarship Program
Institute of International Education
1800 West Loop South, Suite 250
Houston, TX 77027
Contact email and phone number varies by participant status and last name.
Applicant and Recipient Inquiries:
A - D
For Gilman Alumni and Scholars Currently Abroad: