If a temporary visitor becomes seriously ill or injured while in the United States he/ or she should visit the closest medical treatment facility. A foreign embassy officer can assist in locating appropriate medical services and informing family and friends. If necessary, an embassy officer can also assist in the transfer of funds to the United States. However, payment of hospital and other expenses is the responsibility of the traveler.

All travelers should familiarize themselves with conditions at their destination that could affect their health (high altitude or pollution, types of medical facilities, required immunizations, availability of required pharmaceuticals, etc.).

Temporary visitors participating in a State Department sponsored exchange program should have health coverage through their respective program. Many travel agents and private companies offer insurance plans that will cover health care expenses incurred overseas including emergency services such as medical evacuations.