American Music Abroad artists represent the new generation of musical ambassadors; reaching beyond concert halls to interact with other musicians and citizens around the globe. During 2015 and 2016, ECA will partner with American Voices to send 10 American roots music groups in different genres to more than 50 countries. Each year, approximately 10 ensembles are selected to embark on a month-long, multi-country tour, where they engage with international audiences through public concerts, interactive performances with local musicians, lectures and demonstrations, workshops, jam sessions, and media interviews.
American Music Abroad activities focus on younger and underserved audiences in countries where people have few opportunities to meet American performers and experience their music first-hand. AMA bands have traveled to more than 75 countries around the world since 2011.
Program Length4 - 6 weeks
Eligibility and Application OverviewPublic applications are accepted.
- Each musician must be at least 18 years of age, a U.S. citizen, and either hold or be able to obtain a valid U.S. passport;
- Applying ensembles must be either trios, quartets or quintets (3-5 people);
Ensembles from any characteristically American musical genre are welcome to apply, including but not limited to Americana, Blues, Bluegrass, Cajun, Country, Folk, Latin, Native American, Gospel, Hip Hop/Urban, Indie Rock, Jazz, Punk, R&B, and Zydeco.
- Each musician may perform with only one band;
- No musical group or individual musician may participate in the American Music Abroad program more than 3 times in the last 5 years, including prior iterations such as The Rhythm Road: American Music Abroad;
- No more than 2 of the final ensembles chosen may be alumni of the American Music Abroad program;
- Bands combining or crossing-over genres will be considered;
- Successful applicant ensembles are required to demonstrate artistic integrity, musical ability, knowledge of American culture and music and a strong commitment to community and education programming;
- Applicants must be amenable to rigorous traveling and performance conditions, as touring regions and itineraries may be challenging;
- In addition to concerts and media appearances, selected groups will present educational activities that include, but are not limited to: workshops, classes and community outreach activities.
The application period for the 2016-2017 is currently closed. Please check back for updates on future deadlines.
Visit American Music Abroad's website for more information.