Spring 2017 and Summer 2017 Early Application Now Open!
- Deadline for Spring 2017 and Summer 2017 (early) to study or intern abroad is October 4, 2016. Visit Institute of International Education website to apply.
- The application for study or intern abroad during the summer and Fall/academic year terms open in mid-January, with a deadline in early March. Please see the Deadlines and Timelines for further details.
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program provides scholarships to U.S. undergraduates with financial need for study abroad, including students from diverse backgrounds and students going to non-traditional study abroad destinations. Established under the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000, Gilman Scholarships provide up to $5,000 for American students to pursue overseas study for college credit.
Critical Need Languages
Students studying critical need languages are eligible for up to $3,000 in additional funding as part of the Gilman Critical Need Language Supplement program. Those critical need languages include:
- Arabic (all dialects);
- Chinese (all dialects);
- Bahasa Indonesia
- Turkic (Azerbaijani, Kazakh, Kyrgz, Turkish, Turkmen, Uzbek);
- Persian (Farsi, Dari, Kurdish, Pashto, Tajiki);
- Indic (Hindi, Urdu, Nepali, Sinhala, Bengali, Punjabi, Marathi, Gujarati, Sindhi);
Consult the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page for further details.
Program Length1 Month to 1 Year
Eligibility and Application OverviewPublic applications are accepted.
The scholarship program is open to all U.S. citizen undergraduates, in good academic standing who have received a Federal Pell Grant and meet the following criteria.
Eligble Applicants Must Be:
- Receiving a Federal Pell Grant or provide proof that he/she will be receiving a Pell Grant at the time of application or during the term of his/her study abroad program or internship.
- Applying to or has been accepted into a study abroad program or internship eligible for credit by the student's accredited institution of higher education in the U.S./li>
- Studying or interning abroad for at least four weeks (28 days) in one country - or two weeks (14 days) for current community college students - and no more than one academic year. Programs going to more than one country are eligible if the student will be in one country for at least four consecutive weeks.
- Studying or interning abroad in any country or a country on the U.S. Department of State's current Travel Warning List. Students applying to programs in Mexico may only apply for scholarships to support study in Mexican states where no advisory is in effect according to the U.S. Department of State Travel Warning List.
The applications for study or intern abroad during the spring and summer (early application) terms open in mid-August, with a deadline in early October. The application for study or intern abroad during the summer and fall/academic year terms open in mid-January, with a deadline in early March. Please see the Deadlines and Timelines for further details.
Gilman Scholarship Program
Institute of International Education
1800 West Loop South, Suite 250
Houston, TX 77027
Contact email and phone number varies by participant status and last name.
Applicant and Recipient Inquiries:
A - D
For Gilman Alumni and Scholars Currently Abroad: