Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders
Eligibility & Application
The Mandela Washington Fellowship is conducted as a merit-based open competition. After the deadline, all eligible applications will be reviewed by a selection panel. Chosen semi-finalists will be interviewed by the U.S. embassies or consulates in their home country.
- A proven record of leadership and accomplishment in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement;
- A demonstrated commitment to public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship;
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and respect the opinions of others;
- Strong social and communication skills;
- An energetic, positive attitude;
- A demonstrated knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected; and
- A commitment to return to Africa and apply leadership skills and training to benefit the applicant’s country and/or community after they return home
Applications for the 2018 Mandela Washington Fellowship are closed.
To learn more about next steps in the application process, applicants can access the timeline here.