English teachers will teach English as a foreign language to students in their country of service, based on a particular program/job opening.
The upcoming application deadline is October 1, 2016 to depart in Spring 2017.
This program is part of the English For All initiative.
Program Length27 Months
Eligibility and Application OverviewPublic applications are accepted.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- BA/BS in Secondary Education with concentration in English, TEFL or a foreign language; or
- BA/BS in any discipline with state certification at the secondary level in any discipline (English, TEFL, foreign language, art, or social science); or
- BA/BS in English, TEFL or Linguistics; or
- BA/BS in any discipline with English, foreign language, or literacy tutoring experience with primary school, middle or high school students, or adults.
Volunteer positions are posted approximately a year in advance of the expected departure date. Applicants will know if they were accepted with two of months of the application close date.
Prospective participants should:
- Fill out the online application.
- Complete the Health History Form.
- Provide health history to be matched with countries that can support medical needs.
- Browse current openings and pick preferences on where to serve and what to do.
- Give the Peace Corps an idea of your work style and the environment in which you excel.
- If selected to interview, talk to a Peace Corps placement officer about your skills and interests.
- If chosen, receive and respond to invitation to serve.
- Get the final OK from the Peace Corps Medical Office to serve abroad.
- Embark on Peace Corps service assignment, starting with training in the U.S.